We have a lovely network of fantastic cooks here in Chicago. On Saturdays, you can typically find me & JNR playing golf or enjoying a game of chess, and ending the day cooking/grilling at home. We love to have company over to join us in our culinary adventures and my chef-girlfriend, Dana, and her husband Saf are wonderful additions to our Saturday meals! We always end up sharing our love for recipes, techniques and laughter over a nice glass of wine (or even bubbly).
One afternoon, we were making several versions of our favorite dips (chili cheese dip, 7 layer taco dip, etc. – all vegan and recipes to come) and she whipped out these homemade tortillas. I watched in awe as she fried them up to crispy goodness and I felt compelled to incorporate them into my rotation of “oh my goodness” food. This is definitely a favorite in the CGS/JNR household!
• Make your own gluten-free tortillas by using this recipe as a base: Homemade Tortillas
• Cut in quarters
• Heat Canola Oil up to 375 degrees
• Place 6-8 sliced in at a time, fry until golden brown (4-5 minutes)
• Place on a paper towel to dry and sprinkle your favorite salt (I use this French Sea Salt given to me as a housewarming gift “so I may always have spice” in my life and I absolutely love it)
• Serve with your favorite guacamole, mango salsa or grass-fed chili dip!