Here I feature the most amazing dish by Kai Mayfair, known to be the best Chinese restaurant in London. In January 2009, the UK Michelin Guide awarded ichelin a MStar to the Cantonese chefs at Kai Mayfair… because of this dish? I hope so!
Tiger prawns with a spicy wasabi mayonnaise alongside little cubs of mango & Thai basil see
150 grams domyoji-ko rice flour
2 eggs – whites only, lightly whisked
1/2 cup flour
12 tiger prawns, peeled and devained
12 bamboo skewers
5 cups vegetable oil, for deep frying
2 lime leaves Brunoise, diced finely
20 ml lime juice
1 tbsp wasabi paste
1.5 tbsp tobiko
8 tbsp mayonnaise, home made
salt and pepper
1. Place the domyoji-ko into a skillet over med heat, cook until puffed, let cool
2. Peel and devain prawns, then run skewer through from the tail first up to the top of the prawn.
3. Lightly beat the egg whites
4. Lightly flour the skewered prawns, then dip into the puffed rice flour.
5. In a heavy skillet, heat the vegetable oil to 350°
6. Fry the prawns until the prawns are light brown, about 2-3 mins
7. For the mayo; place the wasabi paste, mayonnaise, lime juice, and Brunoise of lime leaf in a bowl, mix and adjust seasonings.
8. Place wasabi and lime mayo in a small ramekin, garnish with tobiko and then the deep fried prawns.